New York, NY asked in Animal / Dog Law for New Hampshire

Q: Is there anyway I can care for a dog that has a bad owner?

A couple days ago I was on Facebook and saw a young lady post on a public pet page that she needed someone to care for her 9 month old golden retriever because she couldn’t have it at her moms house. I offered with the exception that she payed for food, vet bills, and bought a cage. Immediately, she said yes and agreed that she would take care of all of those things. She said she would drop him off in a couple days, she had to drive an hour away to go get him at another persons house she found on FB that was caring for him. Before she dropped him off, I asked her many times to make sure she bought a cage (we rent.) she dropped him off, handed me half a bag of food and old toys that were now choking hazards to the dog, and left, thats all. I asked about the cage and she ‘forgot’. She gave me no instructions of how to care for Clifford (the dog). She is clearly an unfit owner and I’m worried of having to give him back to her! Is there anything I can do to keep him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
  • Manchester, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: Do you really think she is going to come back for Clifford? Keep a copy of the Facebook message-it seemed to me that when she stated "care" she meant for good. if she wants him back a civil case could be started to argue that she meant for you to keep Clifford. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.