Lancaster, PA asked in Real Estate Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: We live in PA. We filed a Will and my fiancé left me the house. Do I need to b on the house title to be really Legal??

House was owned by deceased wife and my fiancé. She had four kids...can they fight me for the house even tho he has left it legally to me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Drew Raisman
Michael Drew Raisman
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Langhorne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: It depends on the deed and will.

If the house was owned by your fiancé and his wife who predeceased him as tenants by the entireties, then the house would have become his upon the death of his wife. If the will leaving the house to you is valid, then the children shouldn't be able to make a claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.