Foley, AL asked in Domestic Violence for Alabama

Q: I'm 19 with DV3 and possession of a altered firearm. I was suicidal that night and did physically hurt her?

I'm 19 and have dv3 and possession of a altered firearm. I've had past issues with depression and was discharged from the army for it. I've been seeking help since I got home. The night it happened she came home and flipped out that I had it and then started talking down upon me which led me to want to kill myself. I never threatened her or hurt her but she has walked away and texted my mother that I had a loaded gun and I assume when mom called the police she made it sound more violent than it really was. After the fact she told my parents that she doesn't want to leave me and that she hasn't received paperwork for her to appear in court. Since there was a gun involved does she have to appear or because of the gun does she not have to appear? My court date is a few days away. I've sought after help with the VA which led no where and now am going to see a local psychiatrist the day of my court date. Any advice on how to plead and how to bring up to the judge I was suicidal that night.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You need to go to court represented by an attorney. THis is serious, both for your welfare and you risk of conviction. If you can't afford an attorney make sure you ask the personnel in the Court to give you a hardship affidavit so you can ask the Court to appoint an attorney for you. DO NOT try to present yourself in this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.