Atlanta, KS asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas

Q: If a landlord gives you 3 day notice to vacate (Sedgwick County, KS) how long before you will be removed from property?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: It is necessary for a landlord to provide a three-day notice (rent must be paid in three days or an action to evict will be initiated) prior to filing a lawsuit. Once the lawsuit is filed, you will be served with notice that the lawsuit is filed and given a court date to appear. If you file a response, most counties will set another hearing date for a later date. After the trial (or if a party fails to appear), the court will enter an order. There is a fourteen day period that should pass until the judgment becomes final. A writ of restitution is issued by the court (sometimes signed with the order, sometimes not signed until the judgment becomes final), authorizing the sheriff to evict the tenant. The practice of many sheriff's departments is to make contact with the occupants and telling them they have several days to vacate the premises. The sheriff's return of the writ to the court is supposed to occur within ten days. Depending upon whether or not you file a response, when the trial date is set, and how the post-judgment steps are handled by the court, the clerk, and the sheriff, it would not be unusual for a potential eviction to be completed in approximately fourteen to thirty days. The more engaged the defendant is in the process, the better he or she is able to be aware of and affect that timeline.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.