Denham Springs, LA asked in Adoption for Mississippi

Q: We’re adopting my 20 yr old niece & her baby once she delivers (Dad unk). Where can I get the forms, what’s the process?

We want to adopt my 20 yr old niece, she is 31 weeks pregnant and the Dad is unknown. We intend on adopting the baby once he’s born too but cannot locate where to get the paperwork. We are stationed with the Navy in Meridian, MS and would appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Some of the stuff you can do on your own; however, depending on the judge, you may need to get an attorney involved to draft the paperwork and go before the judge. There is really not a lot of heavy lifting with adoptions, particularly in your case because 1) the niece is almost a legal adult, and 2) the other child will be a new born. The only thing that should be time consuming in a case such as this will be making sure that you do a summons by publication as to the unknown father, which will prolong the adoption by at least one month.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.