Washington, DC asked in Child Support for District of Columbia

Q: My fiancé is on child support from a previous relationship. Once we are married will I be effected of his child support

When becoming his wife will I be effected of my husband child support.will it come from my paycheck since I am his spouse?he is paying it off but he is behind

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: No, you will never be legally obligated to pay his support obligations, and none of your personal assets, including bank accounts or wages, may be attached to pay any past due support he owes. However, you may wish to keep your bank account titled separate from his to avoid a risk that the account could be garnished and therefore end up having some of your funds taken by mistake, or your joint funds frozen while you contest the attachment in court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.