Hudson, NH asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for New Hampshire

Q: My children's father I divorced 8 years ago. I want to modify child support. Now he wants a paternity test. Can he?

My children's father I divorced 8 years ago in Washington state. We have 2 daughters. The oldest is not his and he knows this, although we have raised her as his own. She is 16 now and still doesn't know. I now live in New Hampshire. He is in Missouri. I would like to modify child support because of a change in financial circumstances. He threatened to make it known the oldest is not his through a paternity test so that he doesnt have to pay more money for child support. We already have a support order from when he divorced me in Washington state. He claimed both children were his. Can he legally unclaim a child in NH? And also, the oldest is his favorite of the 2 children and they are closer than him and the youngest.

1 Lawyer Answer
Amy C. Connolly
Amy C. Connolly
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bedford, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: I believe that he can request challenge paternity, however, he may run into a problem if he testified under oath that he was the biological father.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.