Queen Creek, AZ asked in Divorce and Child Support for Arizona

Q: Are my ex husband and I required to exchange financial info if we both agreed for neither party to pay child support

We live in AZ we got a basic simple divorce we filed on our own going on 8 years ago. Our decree states "Financial information exchanges: In cases in which child support or spousal maintenance are ordered, then until such time as those would end under the orders in this consent decree, the parties shall exchange financial information (tax returns, spousal affidavits, earning statements and/or other related financial statements) every 24 months." We agreed on no child support or spousal maintenance 8 years ago. Neither of us have ever exchanged financial info in the past 8 years. Per our decree we are both entitled to ask one another for this information per the verbiage in our basic divorce decree correct? He refuses to exchange this info with me. I have a right to legally ask him to share his 2017 W2 with me correct? And he has to comply?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John R Gaertner Jr
John R Gaertner Jr
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: The order is clear that the parties must ("shall") exchange financial information every 24 months. If your ex does not. you can file a Petition to Enforce the Consent Decree and request the Court sanction him for his failure to comply and force him to produce the records. Inform your ex that if he does not produce the information by a certain date (give him just another week or so), you will be going to the Court to resolve his Contempt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.