Trussville, AL asked in Libel & Slander and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: What are my options when my girlfriends ex husband is using false claims from his family and friends against me in court

My girlfriend is going through a custody battle with her ex husband. He has taken the kids away from her because of false accusations of absuse from people I have never met before on his side of the family and has tried to use statements from them in the court.. most of the claims have been dismissed durring the restraining order hearing (which was dropped) but he is still going to use false statements and doctored affidavits. What are my options legally ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Marjorie A Bristol
Marjorie A Bristol
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Goodlettsville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You have no legal options related to the custody case. Your girlfriend does. She needs a lawyer. You may have a defamation cause of action but an attorney would need to review more facts than you have included here to advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.