Sandy, UT asked in Immigration Law for Utah

Q: What options do we have if my husband was denied on his I485 application? He is from Australia and we were married here.

We were married outside the 90 day period of a K1 visa (1 week late). That was the reason for denial. The denial letter stated he must leave ASAP. I’m distraught and don’t know what to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: He can travel back to Australia, and you can file an immigrant visa petition for him. It will take about a year for him to come back as an immigrant. You can also file a spouse nonimmigrant petition on his behalf. We suggest you talk with an immigration attorney to see what might work best under the circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.