Seattle, WA asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Washington

Q: The estate of my mother (me-only child) is being sued regarding her real estate , there is no estate, what do I do?

My mother passed June 1, 2015, I got served with court papers February 18, 2018 regarding real estate property which she did own but it got foreclosed-- the sherriff's office got involved.(date escapes me right now) Then she rented an apartment for two years but in an out of the hospital and nursing home before moving with a family member and then passing.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent Bowden
Brent Bowden
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lynnwood, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: There is not enough information provided to really answer this question, I would recommend speaking to a probate attorney. They are going to need to know at least whether there was a probate, who the personal representative was, whether this creditor was known or notified of probate, whether there was a published notice to creditors, and the nature of the court papers you were served with.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.