Quarryville, PA asked in Bankruptcy for Pennsylvania

Q: i had my bank account frozen by a lawyer firm over a debt what do i do next

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You don't where you reside, or where your bank is. The answer will vary depending upon your location (i.e., which state). In PA, a garnishment by a creditor can only be issued to your bank if the creditor first takes a judgment against you. You would know that a lawsuit has begun, because the creditor's complaint and summons must be served upon you before a judgment can be granted by the court. Assuming these things were done, you have a limited time to file Objections to the garnishment with the Sheriff. Wages are exempt from garnishment in PA, and if you can show that the only deposits made to your account are your wages, you should be able to convince the Sheriff to release the garnished funds to you. To be blunt, you should have consulted a lawyer when the original complaint was served on you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.