Georgetown, TX asked in Criminal Law and Legal Malpractice for Texas

Q: My paid attorney lied to me about consequences of a plea he encouraged me to sign against my better judgement. Help!

1997 DWI Hit and broke leg of other driver did 6yrs prison time after 10yrs probation revoked. Now on parole with $92,000 to pay Any hope?

1 Lawyer Answer
Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: What is your goal? Your chances of overturning a 20 year old conviction are slim, and I assume the $92,000 owed is from a civil suit arising out of the same incident. The question for the criminal case is whether you operated a motor vehicle while intoxicated, was there an assault, and are you liable for the damages. I do not know the particular facts, but the first questions anyone would ask is: why are you just now asking these questions? Call your attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.