Seattle, WA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Washington

Q: My roommate passed away, left an 8 year old daughter and no will. Does the guardian have right to assets?

My roommate has passed away and has left behind her 8 year old daughter, whom her father has full custody of. My roommates mother is trying to capitalize on her assets and become the personal representative of her estate. Can she do this? We know that she will not give remaining assets to my roommates daughter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent Bowden
Brent Bowden
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lynnwood
  • Licensed in Washington

A: It isn't clear from the question whether the father was still married to your roommate. If he was, he would be first preference for Personal Representative if he wanted to be, but, if not, the mother is likely the first preference. RCW 11.28.120 (

That being said, the personal representative has to distribute the assets according to the laws of intestacy. If there was no spouse, everything goes to the child(ren). RCW 11.04.015 (

If the father has some reason to believe that the mother is going to violate the law or if he wants to object to her appointment, I would recommend discussing it with a probate attorney. Ideally, it would be good for everyone to be on the same page before probate is opened. It can substantially drain the assets of the estate if everything is going to have to be monitored and/or contested.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.