New York, NY asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: A friend got a speeding ticket in 2005 in Madison county.

A friend got a speeding ticket in 2005 in Madison county. A website that reports convictions says "83/55" and "guilty in absentia." Is this a matter that needs representation? Can she just call up Virginia a pay a fine, or can the matter still be pleaded down to an infraction (something less than a misdemeanor)?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wilfred Yeargan
Wilfred Yeargan pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: No, unfortunately in the General District Courts of Virginia you only have ten calendar days to post an appeal or up to 60 days to file a Motion for Reconsideration. The GDC courts generally destroy paper records after ten years. In my opinion, she has very little recourse after 13 years. She should contact the court to pay the fine and court costs and then reinstate her privilege to drive with the Virginia DMV (her right to drive here will more than likely be suspended for non-payment of the court fines).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.