Saint Louis, MO asked in Family Law, Adoption and Military Law for Missouri

Q: My girlfriend is currently looking to get custody of her sister from her abusive mother, I'm doing research for her.

Currently my girlfriend is away at basic training for the army reserves. Once she gets back she is lookking to get custody of her sister from her abusive mother. I'm looking for where I need to start looking to do the research required so that when she returns she can start this process. I've also several questions regarding how guardianship is going to work with her being in the military and not having a spouse as no one else in her family would be capable of taking care of her teenage sister. Any reference point to start my research would be helpful.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Your girlfriend will want to talk to an attorney local to her and her sister about seeking a child guardianship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.