Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Missouri Military Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Missouri on
Q: In MO, how long do I have to keep my ex-fiancés personal items (clothing, tools, etc.) before selling or donating?

My ex is currently mobilized (National Guard) and ended our engagement abruptly after weeks of no contact. He is stateside and has the ability to come home on leave. I know he will use his "military rights" against me if I do anything out of line. I have, in writing, explained that he can... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jun 18, 2023

In Missouri, there is no specific law that dictates how long you must keep your ex-fiancé's personal items before selling or donating them. However, it is generally recommended that you give your ex-fiancé reasonable notice and an opportunity to retrieve their belongings before disposing of... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Admiralty / Maritime and Military Law for Missouri on
Q: Where do I file a compulsory counterclaim against the administrator who is acting like he is a judge and injured me
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Dec 13, 2021

This is posted under Admiralty/Maritime, which often involves federal practice. Under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, compulsory counterclaims are governed by Rule 13 of FRCP. But it isn't fully clear what the matter involves, due to the spread of categories included. I can't speak... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Missouri on
Q: Is it illegal for a man to claim to be deployed when he was not? He is in the army but lied about being deployed.
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 28, 2020

It depends on who he made the statement to and under what circumstances. A false statement between friends in not enforceable. However, a false official statement made to obtain a benefit is different.

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Missouri on
Q: How likely is it to upgrade my military discharge from General Under Honorable to Honorable?

I have documentation proving I was recommended for an Honorable. I was discharged for a condition not a disability. How would I get the narrative reason of separation changed also?

Patrick Korody
Patrick Korody
answered on Mar 1, 2018

Generally speaking, if a discharge review board grants an upgrade based on a separation processing issue, they will change the narrative as well. If the narrative reason was correct, then they won't change the reason. You have the burden to demonstrate the characterization were unjust or... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption and Military Law for Missouri on
Q: My girlfriend is currently looking to get custody of her sister from her abusive mother, I'm doing research for her.

Currently my girlfriend is away at basic training for the army reserves. Once she gets back she is lookking to get custody of her sister from her abusive mother. I'm looking for where I need to start looking to do the research required so that when she returns she can start this process.... View More

Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
answered on Feb 27, 2018

Your girlfriend will want to talk to an attorney local to her and her sister about seeking a child guardianship.

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Missouri on
Q: With a chapter 5-17, is someone eligible for 100% GI Bill or only after VA claims prove service connected disability?

My wife is currently being separated under a chapter 5-17 due to a really bad break in her femoral neck. She went on con leave and was told she was getting a chapter 5-17 when she returned. She was never offered a MEB, however with such an injury, is that common? What benefits will she be eligible... View More

Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II
answered on Jan 26, 2018

The VA will establish the percentage of disability. There is an appeals process should you disagree with it.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Criminal Law and Military Law for Missouri on
Q: Bad Background check.

I was arrested for sexual assault while in the army (December 2014) and was proven innocent to the charges but it still comes up that I was arrested for it in a background check and I cant purchase a firearm because of it and I feel like I've lost a few Pharmacy technician opportunities what... View More

Patrick Korody
Patrick Korody
answered on Sep 28, 2017

The problem is that CID entered your arrest/subject in the investigation (called "titling") in DCII and NCIC, databases that track arrests. Your DNA was also put in CODIS. Getting your DNA taken out of CODIS is pretty easy. Getting your arrest out of DCII and NCIC is going to be... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Military Law and Traffic Tickets for Missouri on
Q: Speeding ticket amended to "no muffler", job website asks if I've been cited for a moving violation, what do I answer?

A few months ago I was ticketed for speeding. I got a lawyer to go to court and she got it changed to what the receipt says, "no muffler". I'm filling out my profile for a job website and it asks if I have been cited for a moving traffic violation in the past 5 years. Do I say yes or... View More

Richard C Simons
Richard C Simons
answered on Jan 20, 2016

This is new to me to see the word "cited" instead of "convicted." Since the word, "cited" is what is used, you have been cited with a speeding ticket. You received a citation from the officer but were not convicted by the court. The big deal is if you lie in this... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.