Kingston, TN asked in Immigration Law for Tennessee

Q: can my husband come after me if I file for divorce? He said I owe him money. I’m on a k1 visa. He’s verbally abusive

I came here on a k1 visa. Got married last dec2016. Got my 2 yr permanent residence card in sept2016. I’m a nurse and started working in January2018. We started arguing about money after I started working and earning my own money. He wanted complete control of my money. He wanted me to pay for his credit card. He’s also working and is earning more. He said I also owe on the credit card because that’s what he used whenever we eat outside. I’m an authorized user but didn’t use it. He said I owe him. He’s very verbally abusive towards me calling me names even his children can hear it. He has 2 kids from previous marriage age 21 and 16 living with us. He said he’s gonna sue me if ever I leave. He said he’s gonna sue me for using him and for fraud. But that is never true. I spent an entire year not working just so we can spend time together. I’m so miserable and unhappy right now. If I leave, can he really come after me? I only have evidences gathered since july 2017

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rehim Babaoglu
Rehim Babaoglu
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can file for divorce. Then you can file to remove the conditions on your 2 year card and get a 10 year green card as a divorced spouse of US citizen. You will need documentary evidence, photos, receipts, apartment leases, bills, and lots of monthly financial statements from Sept. 2016 to the date that you file to prove that you were in a bona fide marriage, but he was abusive. You will need at least 2 affidavits from friends, neighbors, or fellow employees about the bona fides of your marriage and his bad conduct. In short, you will need an immigration lawyer - I would not recommend that you do it yourself. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.