Olive Branch, MS asked in Landlord - Tenant for Mississippi

Q: I am dealing with a tenant court case in Mississippi. I rent and need help with defense.

I have been unable to find an attorney who can be with me at the court hearing in a few days. I think I can get the case dismissed at least giving me some time to find and hire an attorney to better represent the case.

From my research, Mississippi Code 89-7-27 states that if non-payment of rent occurs, that the landlord and/or property management company must supply with me, in writing, a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit. The landlord has claimed to have sent this notice to me via email, but I have not received anything. Can I get this case dismissed based on this fact alone?

Also, there is much more involving the case all at the fault of the landlord, but again, I am out of time and trying to get the case dismissed or postponed to give me some time to prepare my case and hire a lawyer.

Thank you ahead of time, I appreciate it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: It depends. Different landlords interpret the statutory provisions in their own way. E-mail may suffice, but the better practice is to do it via hand-delivery or certified mail. While it may not necessarily cause the case to be dismissed, it could get it postponed (depends on the judge).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.