Los Angeles, CA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for California

Q: My great-grandmother left me $6,000 in 2010 in her Will... my mother recently admitted that she kept the money .

Can I take legal action against my mom to receive the 6k?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas E. Rossmeissl
Thomas E. Rossmeissl
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Los Gatos, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your mother stole the $6,000 that was to be distributed to you, then you may have a claim against her and you could file suit to enforce your rights. There are a number of potential complications that you would want to discuss with an attorney, including how your mother received the money on your behalf, who was administering the estate and was responsible for complying with the terms of the will, when you first learned the facts of the misappropriation of your inheritance, etc. A $6,000 dispute is a fairly small dispute, though, and it may not make economic sense to incur legal fees to pursue it. If you want to pursue your rights, however, then you should consult with an experienced probate attorney near you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.