Pittsburgh, PA asked in Wrongful Death for Pennsylvania

Q: Wrongful death- 1 of the plantiffs dies before settlement. Should the decease wife and children be added to the case?

My father told me he was thinking about filing a wrongful death suit against the hospital regarding my grandmother. He and my aunt started the process, but he then passed away

I found out recently there was a settlement.

My aunt's name is on the settlement agreement.

$ is to be distributed to her and her sisters.

I was told in this situation his wife and his children should of been contacted and added to the case in place of my dad.

We were never contacted.

A settlement was reached and agreed on by my aunt alone.

Who is accountable, for contacting the next of Kin in a case like this

Especially since my dad was involved in a wrongful death case but had next of kin (wife and kids)

To date we have not been told that we are getting $ from settlement

or even contacted by any legal authorities.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The attorney for the estate was responsible for contacting the relatives/family of your husband. You need to get the court file for the estate, which usually would be with the register of wills for the county where it was. It also may make a difference when things happened. Feel free to call and I will be happy to answer your questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.