Bethlehem, PA asked in Bankruptcy for Pennsylvania

Q: After you file for bankruptcy can you change your mind and cancel your case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Yes, but within limits. If you file a Chapter 13 case, depending on the circumstances, the court could convert your case to a Ch. 7 case instead of dismissing it. But that's unusual. If you file a Ch. 7 case, you have an absolute right to convert to a Ch. 13, and if you want to dismiss your Ch. 7 case, again, if any trustee or creditor objected to the dismissal (unlikely), the court can do whatever is best for the creditors and the bankruptcy estate.

David Earl Phillips agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.