Woodbridge, VA asked in Child Support for Virginia

Q: Is a child support agreement signed and notorized binding?

My ex was ordered to pay support through Fairfax county va, we came to an agreement outside the court and closed my case with DCSE. It stated he could pay me lump of $4000 and continue paying $400 a month ect... but that if he didn't pay or if circumstances changed it could be revisited. He stopped paying, and I reopened the case. They award me ALL arrears based on the original court agreement and I put how much he paid during closure. He was originally ordered to pay $700 a month and during closure only paid 400, he was behind in arrears 5300 and gave me 4000. Thereby owing my quite a bit at 5% interest.

Can he take the agreement to court therefore nullifying all back arrears? Or do I just do what I did, put what he paid me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
  • Winchester, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It will ultimately be up to the judge whether to enforce the agreement or not. If such a case is brought, immediately obtain a lawyer to represent you in this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.