Asked in Medical Malpractice for Mississippi

Q: Medical negligence with diagnosing heart attack

My dad went to the hospital with chest pains. They said it was a heart attack and sent him to a bigger hospital. In the ER there they said blood test was negative for a heart attack but ekg was abnormal so they knew it was something cardiac related. He had pain meds and nitro but it didn't ease the pain. My dad asked if you he blood test was negative then that meant he didn't have a heart attack and the dr said he wasn't sure. He waited in the ER for 2 hours before a cardiologist came and took him to cath lab. There they found his main coronary artery was closed. He was prepped for emergency open heart surgery. His heart was severely damaged from the artery being closed for so long. We weren't sure he would survive. He has a history of heart disease and 3 previous heart attacks. Do we have any options here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Madison, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You will need to consult an attorney to discuss some more of the facts behind your possible claim. It would be helpful to get an electronic copy of your father's medical records for the attorney's review. Keep in mind, though, that when it comes to medical malpractice claims, there is a statute of limitations, which means you want to make sure that you consult with the attorney before the time lapses to file suit, if one is necessary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.