Portland, OR asked in Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: Can a victim get in trouble for violating a no contact order before trial if the perpetrator initiated contact first?

After an incident where I was driving with my boyfriend and he took control of the steering wheel, swerved the car, hit the dashboard and damaged the interior, and was arrested with a no contact order in place (at least until the trial), he then contacted me and I responded and we’ve spent time together since. There was also another incident later after the first where he broke my windshield with his fists from the inside of the car which I’d like to report but I’m concerned about the fact that I did have contact with him and if that is going to mean any repercussions for me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: The no contact order is apparently against him - not you. So no, you are not subject to being penalized for having contact with him though if you do, you are subjecting him to immediate arrest if he is caught in contact with you. If you have contact with him, his obligation is to immediately terminate it and/or leave. All this said, he obviously has anger control issues - normal people do not punch out windshields - and you are seriously at risk if you keep in contact (sooner or later, you are likely to be substituted for the windshield). Get support and counseling to improve your life and get over him - this is unhealthy for you and likely dangerous besides.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.