Asked in Divorce for Alabama

Q: How long does an uncontested Alabama divorce take? Can one or both be in another state as I file?

What happens with my retirement? Married since 2004

Do I need an attorney for uncontested Alabama divorce?

Would I be required to pay alimony?



Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Depends on the facts. No. Depends on the facts.

Anthony -- if you want an answer, you must provide some information. No one can answer based on this.

Lee Wood Borden
Lee Wood Borden
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: The documents can be prepared the same day. After you and your spouse sign them, expect the divorce to be effective within about six weeks.

No problem for one or both of you to be in another state or even another country, but at least one of you must maintain your domicile (your permanent home) in Alabama.

Hard to say about your retirement. The whole idea of an uncontested divorce is that you and your spouse are able to reach agreement on how to divide your assets, debts, income, and expenses. There's lots of information available on my web site and others about these kinds of questions in Alabama. You and your spouse can read it together and see if you can't reach agreement on a plan that makes sense to both of you.

The answer is the same on alimony. Go gather some information and see if you can't reach agreement together.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.