Nelson, NH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Hampshire

Q: Parenting plan in place. Ex & lawyer have said that I'm allowed a 15 mile move, if I go 5 mi. over that am I in contempt

Parenting plan a year in place, I could not afford a lawyer- he could. I filed the petition because he changed his days/weeks with our daughter all the time and refused to help financially with anything. His lawyer now has him paying half of day care a month, but he's still never accurate per our 50/50 custody plan drawn up. I have her at least 60/40. They also stated that if I were to ever move, I was only allowed a 15 mile distance from his home. Recently found a home 18.4 miles from his that my bf and I were looking to buy, he threatened to take me to court for contempt if we went through with it, if I didn't sign off to allow him to home school our child (which he knows I am against) I cant afford a lawyer, but I also do not want to go to jail or have to pay fines/his legal fees if I do find/buy a house 5 miles outside of his radius allowance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amy C. Connolly
Amy C. Connolly
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bedford, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: You would not to go jail If you moved outside of the designated areas, however, it could be grounds to change the parenting plan. The law on modification of parenting plans has changed and you may be able to move to amend that portion of the parenting plan based on your facts. I hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.