Fort Payne, AL asked in Family Law and Probate for Alabama

Q: A man marries 2 years later he dies he has safety deposit box 130,000 with his name and wife on it is his child entitled

His wife is wealthy and has no children does his adult child legally have any right to the money and actually all is still tied up in court 6 months later the wife dies and now her nieces are trying to get the money that their aunt's husband had in safety deposit boxes so is adult child or deceased wife's nieces entitled to it legally

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Barbara H. Agricola
Barbara H. Agricola
  • Opelika, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: it would be based on what he stated in his will. so if his will states that all hs estate goes to his wife, then it would go to his wife, including the safe deposit box. however, if she died 6 months later, then it would go according to her will since his estate would have become hers if he died without a will, then it would go per stirpes.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.