Hendersonville, TN asked in Immigration Law for Tennessee

Q: Am being married to my wife going to five years now.i got my two year GC and applied for i751 November 2016 .

My case is still pending and am qualified to apply for citizenship which I did November 2017 I did my finger print..our marriage is falling apart due to domestic abuse and substance abuse by my wife..and we had two kids..we will be going through divorce and I don’t know how that’s going to affect my two pending cases..by the way she being charged with domistic assult went to jail and I bail her out and we have court hearing 3/21/18..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rehim Babaoglu
Rehim Babaoglu
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I would urge you to consult with and hire an immigration lawyer to assist you with this case in order for the lawyer to debrief and brief you, analyze, assess and evaluate your case maximize the possibilities for a successful result.

Your question requires way too many questions on my part and too many answers on your part before I can even formulate recommendations as to the course(s) of action you should take.

You may be eligible to self-petition under VAWA, or to convert your pending application to divorced spouse after you divorce, and a lot depends on who has primary custody of the kids.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.