Herndon, VA asked in Communications Law for Virginia

Q: Cell phone provider abruptly disconnected my service. This has caused me having no cell phone service. Recourse?

They told me the only way they will reconnect my service is if I pay in cash to one of their dealers.

I cannot port my number to any other provider. Because my number is unreachable (I have owned it for over 10 years), it is causing me great harm.

I have opened an FCC complaint but their timeline is 30 days.

I want to explore suing the company for the damage they are causing me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Contact your state's Public Utilty Commission , see if they have a consumer advocate.Switch carriers. Get a new trac phone and pay as you go.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.