Virginia Communications Law Questions & Answers

Q: Cell phone provider abruptly disconnected my service. This has caused me having no cell phone service. Recourse?

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law for Virginia on
Answered on Mar 13, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Contact your state's Public Utilty Commission , see if they have a consumer advocate.Switch carriers. Get a new trac phone and pay as you go.

Q: Can I blur out faces of my kids in subpeona?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Communications Law for Virginia on
Answered on Mar 13, 2018
Michael Christopher Miller's answer
You can ask the attorney who issued the subpoena if they will agree to receive photos with the faces blurred.

Or, you can file an objection/seek a protective order to seek guidance from the court.

Q: How frequently is social media content and other forms of electronic communication such as, text messages used in cases?

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Libel & Slander, Personal Injury and Employment Law for Virginia on
Answered on Nov 9, 2016
Gary D. Godman's answer
It's used quite often in many different types of cases. If the messages are relevant and overcome any hearsay objections, electronic communications can make or break a case. If you are in a case reliant on what was said on social media or in text, work with an attorney to plan for the appropriate manner to introduce any necessary communications as evidence.

Q: If someone is on supervises probation and got put out from a so called friend resident could they be vol.

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Virginia on
Answered on Dec 25, 2015
Susan Fremit's answer
If a condition of the supervised probation is to reside at a certain address, the probation officer must be told immediately if there is a change of address.

Q: Being harassed on internet and slandered. what can I do

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law for Virginia on
Answered on Sep 4, 2014
Ray Beckerman's answer
If you have a viable defamation case, you can bring a lawsuit for money damages.

Q: Can i get an ip address if i have been threaten over the internet. I have requested information from topix so i can pres

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law for Virginia on
Answered on Feb 18, 2012
Jerry Lutkenhaus' answer
You can check with the Virginia attorney general's office for consumer affairs. You can also check with your locks commonwealth attorney's office about filing criminal charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.