Nolensville, TN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Alabama

Q: I have an 8month old with an ex-girlfriend, Is there a specific age that he needs to be before I can keep him overnight?

I have an 8 month old with an Ex-girlfriend. When the child was conceived we lived in Birmingham, AL we broke up before the child was born and upon break up she moved to Huntsville, AL to live with her parents and I know live in Nashville, TN. I have been paying child support since he was born, his mother has not worked since before he was born. She has only allowed me to see my son 1 day a week (on Monday's) for 3-4 hours in a certain time window that she provides. Now we are trying to figure out custody (outside of court) she is telling me I will not be allowed unsupervised visits with my son until he is 18 months old. However she has left our son with her parents over night twice and once other time separate from that, and without first asking me. I am curious is the 18 month age is status quo for this situation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Barbara H. Agricola
Barbara H. Agricola
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Opelika, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: no, there is not. barring any unusual circumstances, you should be able to get overnight visitation with him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.