Dover, NJ asked in Traffic Tickets and Construction Law for New Jersey

Q: What must be in place for it to be considered a barricade & does said barricade have to a posted notice indefinitely?

I had driven past three police vehicles on the side of the road & taking up the right of the two lanes. As I approached I moved into the left lane & passed them on my way to the gas station just after them. As I pulled in two police vehicles pulled in behind where I had parked. They gave me a ticket for driving on the wrong side of the highway knowingly because I had “crossed the double yellow line to go around their barricade”. There was road work down the road beyond them several dozen yards but the streets was blocked off with caution tape & a single street cone. There were no posted signs for the road being closed & the gas station itself was still open. When I passed them I was safely in the left lane because they were blocking the right & I was unsure wether there had been an accident or someone had been pulled over & they claim to have been taking up the full width of the two lanes as a “barricade”. I took photos of the whole scnerio but they corrected their “barricade” for it.

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The law doesn't have a specific definition as to what a barricade must consist of. This will be your word against theirs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.