Chestnut Hill, MA asked in Criminal Law and Education Law for Massachusetts

Q: University went into my room, took my legal herbal supplement, and wants to give me drug possession violation.

My resident director went into my room at a private university (which I believe is permitted), and took away an herbal supplement that I take to ease chronic debilitating back pain, and want to charge me with “drug possession” as policy violation. The herbal supplement I take is legal for human consumption at a federal and state level. They have stolen my property and will defame my character. I would like this policy violation avoided and want to consult a lawyer about what I can do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Espinosa
John Espinosa
  • Lowell, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Just because something is legal doesn't mean that the school can't have a rule that prohibits it on campus. Alcohol is a great example. You have to work within their rules. And hold them to their own rules. But at the end of the day the school has broad discretion.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.