Glenview, IL asked in Adoption, Animal / Dog Law, Child Custody and Family Law for Illinois

Q: Would I be able to get my dog back legally without going to court?

My mom gave my dog away to a coworker. I was the one who adopted him and I was the one who paid for vet visits and his microchipping. He's registered in my name. I never granted the release of my dog to this coworker. After a couple of days the coworker let my mom know that she wanted to give him back. Obviously we accepted, I wanted my dog back. However, the next morning she says never mind. Aren't I entitled to have my dog back? I never once spoke to this coworker. My mom called the cops and they are saying I would need a court order. I would much rather get him back sooner. Is it possible to treat this as a case of a stolen dog so i could get an officer to accompany me to this coworkers house to obtain my dog?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mrs. Lucinda D. Bugden
Mrs. Lucinda D. Bugden
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You have to make a demand for your dog in writing. Write a letter, date it & keep a copy of it. I recommend to use a nice tone in the letter, asking to have the dog returned to you by a date certain. Then if they do not return the dog to you, you can file a small claims lawsuit. You will want to attach the dated letter where you demanded the return of your dog (in 24 hours or whatever was your time limit). You will have to bring proof to court that the dog is registered in your name & all or his most recent vet records. Not clear how your mom gave this dog to her coworker. Was she watching the dog for you? It is unlikely that a police officer will help you before you have obtained a "judgment" for the immediate return of your dog. In your lawsuit ask for the return of your dog plus the "costs of suit" for you to file the case & have the sheriff or a private investigator to "serve" the lawsuit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.