Pittsburgh, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: As a SVP is there a way to get help paying for polygraphs while in treatment through public defender as I am indigent?

I am residing in Butler County and receiving treatment as an SVP after serving 12 years 8 months and I am currently on state parole. I was sentenced by Jefferson County courts. Butler County public defender office says I can but I must go through my sentencing county. Jefferson county (my sentencing county) says there is no such thing. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zak Taylor Goldstein
Zak Taylor Goldstein
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You should talk to the public defender about whether you really have to register as an SVP at this point. The SVP portion of the SORNA statute was found unconstitutional by the Superior Court. There may be a petition you can file to challenge the requirement, and the public defender may be pursuing those for free. You could also hire a lawyer to file one. You should continue to register until the issue is resolved, however.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.