Asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can my husband be sentenced without his lawyer present??

On March 12 my husband showed at york county courthouse in york pa for a probation intake. Upon entering was told he had warrant was booked and told he was in holding cell until he could see a judge. Warrant was for failure to appear for probation violation from a 2014 1st dui conviction, got 2nd dui March 2017. Received 5 years probation 2014. He saw judge approx 4pm same day (he went in at 1pm) was never asked if he wanted a lawyer present and was sentenced 6-23 mos. He was very confused about proceedings, did not understand charges. Also his 2nd dui occurred in different county, he asked to have his probation transferred to york county because the have an office in our town. In dauphin county was given 6 months house arrest, spoke with man who put on my husband's ankle monitor and he told me that when he ran check for warrants nothing showed up. Also, my husband has never missed a court appointment and told judge he never received the letter or he would have been there.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zak Taylor Goldstein
Zak Taylor Goldstein
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: No, you cannot be sentenced without your lawyer present unless you don't have a lawyer and have decided to proceed pro se. This would be grounds for a new sentencing hearing on appeal or through a PCRA.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.