Orem, UT asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Utah

Q: How hard is it to get full custodial/ parental rights for my two kids?

Kids were born between 2004 -2007. The father and I were never married and I've been their only supporter during this time. The father and I separated in 2008 when he moved to Idaho, and I've been supporting them solely ever since. There is a court order for child support which was paid 3 times total. I've tried to reach him through mail, and all attempts are failed, I've tried calling to find the number I had to be disconnected or belonging to someone else. He did sign a relinquishment of rights back in 2012, and I want to pursue getting this finalized. What are my chances of getting sole custody completed through the court system?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Orem, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Generally speaking, without any other information regarding your situation, your chances of getting sole custody completed through the court system is 100%, as long as you can get the father served with the court papers. De facto, you have 100% sole custody right now, so it is unclear why you want to obtain a court order of custody. The first issue will be getting the father served, but there are various ways you can get this done without having him served personally. Working with an experienced lawyer will help you get this done.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.