Asked in Child Support for Utah

Q: I have physical custudy of my son and joint legal custudy. My son has been living with me since the divorce in 2010.

Due to actions of my son my ex husband and I have decided its best for my son to go live with him for a year. My ex has always paid child support on time and never has missed. With the change of him living with my ex and how should child support change?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron

A: Generally, and without looking at your particular Decree of Divorce, which is the law of your case, you would pay your ex child support in the amount indicated on the child support worksheet used to determine child support that you have received from your ex. Your respective child support obligations are found at line 7 of the Child Support Obligation Worksheet (Sole Custody and Paternity). Again, generally speaking and applying Utah law, without seeing your specific Decree of Divorce, this would begin as soon as your son begins living with your ex without any need for you to go to court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.