Burlington, NC asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Mississippi

Q: appeal

My issue is that I borrowed $1,000 from a loan place and it was a 90 day no interest. I was a few days late on the payment and they said that I had defaulted on the loan. So I just continued the monthly payments. I ended up in the hospital having a baby and was unable to make the payment because I was in the hospital. They ended up taking me to court. They wanted me to pay $1900 worth of penalty fees and the judge ruled in my favor to only pay the difference of what I only owed them which is $440. So now they have appealed the judges ruling. Do you think they will over turn the judges ruling

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Madison, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: It really depends on the circumstances. Judge's are given a certain level of discretion when issuing judgments, particularly when it comes to collection or breach of contract claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.