Titusville, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: What if an officer signs a criminal complaint under penalty of PA title 18 S 4904 that he KNOWS is untrue?

It is a DUI case and he has the height listed as 7' 74" tall and showing that the driver was driving on a 16 year old expired drivers license. He did not file a charge for the license because it was not actually expired.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zak Taylor Goldstein
Zak Taylor Goldstein
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If an officer lies in police paperwork, that could be used to impeach the officer at a motion to suppress or trial. Depending on how big the lie/mistake/omission is, the error could have an impact on whether the judge or jury believes the officer. In most cases, officers do not face any kind of charges or damage to their careers unless they are caught on video engaging in police brutality or falsifying evidence. But it could be helpful to your case. Speak with your attorney about it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.