Columbus, GA asked in Wrongful Death for Alabama

Q: Can an ex-wife and mother to a child of someone who was murdered in prison due to wrongful death (negligence) file

My sons father and my ex-husband was murdered at Elmore State Prison while serving a life sentence with parole and I would like to pursue suing the state of Alabama for neglect in there prison system. Please tell me if this is possible. The date of the incident was 2/16/17 and he died on 2/18/17 due to his injuries.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: The prisoner's estate can file a claim and the beneficiary would be the child. Contact the Alabama Civil Liberties Unit, ask for the prison rights group, ask them for the names and phone numbers of some of their "cooperating attorneys." They give free consultations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.