Walstonburg, NC asked in Civil Rights, Collections and Small Claims for North Carolina

Q: can my property be liened with a civil summons

i just got a civil summons for 2800 from calvry llc

i am on social security is only income

my wife and i and daughter live at house

we have no equity in the home

what should i do

1 Lawyer Answer
Paige Kurtz
Paige Kurtz
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If the debt is legitimate, then the best option is to speak to the creditor and attempt to get a payment plan to pay the debt. You have 30 days from the date you are served to file a response with the clerk. If you don't, the party will be able to get a default judgment against you. Once the judgment is entered, it attaches as a lien to any real property owned solely by you. The creditor can also seize personal assets to satisfy the judgment.

If the debt is not correct, you can either speak with an attorney for assistance or attempt to dispute on your own with the creditor's attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.