San Jose, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Ohio

Q: I have never been evicted. Went to get moving van and came back to changed locks and I can't get property.

The landlords just went in and rummaged through my apartment and then put locks on doors. From what I can see they've stolen some things as well. We have no written lease. They have never given me a receipt and I lived there 3 years. Now on the day I'm moving they cut off the lock of a big box truck I have and put a lockbox on it. They also changed the locks on both apartment doors and put hasps with lockboxes as well. They are saying I owe them money when I owe them nothing and they want me to give them $1000 to get my things back. Secondly they took off and moved out of state and wouldn't answer me for the last 2 months. Yesterday I got a text telling me if I went out there I'd be arrested and that I couldn't have my truck or any of the things in my apartment until they got $1,000. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Martin Broyles
Bruce Martin Broyles
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Lancaster, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Ohio does not provide for self-help provisions in a residential lease. Landlords must provide a 3 day notice; file a complaint for forcible entry and detainer; provide sufficient information at a hearing, and obtain a writ of restitution. Does not sound as though your landlord did these things. You have a claim for wrongful eviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.