Vancouver, WA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Washington

Q: Can my landlord move into my home to bypass Notice of Entry requirements?

My landlords (married) have been conducting themselves with complete disregard for the law and I have insisted that they stop entering without notice (they do it daily, they live across the street).

They were enraged and declared on the phone that they would "fix the problem" by moving their stuff into the home that night and living inside the home with us before our lease is terminated on April 20th. That way, they wouldn't have to notify us of intent to enter the home.

They are not entering the home to inspect, display, or maintain the home. They are entering the home to essentially harass us and force us out as quickly as possible (by bossing us around while we're trying to move things out of the house). They have a tenant-family moving in on April 1st.

What recourse do I have to get my landlords to leave me alone while I try to move out?

Can they truly move in overnight without my consent?

What can I do to ensure my rights are protected without risking legal punishment?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent Bowden
Brent Bowden
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Lynnwood, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Your landlord cannot move into an area that you have the exclusive right to possess.

However, your landlord could potentially move into a portion of the house if it isn't part of your lease. For example, if your house is rented room by room and you only rent one of the rooms they could move into another. Likewise it could be possible for your landlords to have access to the common areas of a house if you only rent a room. They would only need to give you notice before entering the portion that you occupy exclusively.

Do you rent a room in the house or the whole house?

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.