La Porte, IN asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Indiana

Q: My husband filed for divorce from me, I’m pregnant and don’t want him in it’s life due to he’s abusive. How do I protect

Husband was abusive to me for almost all our marriage, conception was 2 days AFTER he had filed. How do I protect my child from him being in its life

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Betsy Walits
Betsy Walits
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: First of all, most courts won’t let you finalize your divorce until paternity is proven, and that means the baby will have to be born. If he is violent with you, ask for a protective order. That way with the protective order in effect when your divorce is finalized, it will be easier to show domestic violence. There’s really no way to keep him away permanently. Ask for supervised parenting tine at a supervision facility.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.