Orlando, FL asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law, Family Law and Adoption for Alabama

Q: If my mother was left property but passed before she gained ownership of the property who dose it belong to now?

Property was my grandparents,left to my mother,sold in a tax sale for pass due property taxes while in a lengthy probate case on all property of my grandparents and then she passed before claiming the property who now has the rights to claim the property also she had no will and I was adopted by my grandfather?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: I am assuming the property is in Alabama. The right to redeem on the property goes to the person who holds a mortgage on the property or to the person who owned the property at the time the tax sale was held. If that person has died, then the right devolves to the person's heirs at law. You would have had to be adopted by the owner of the property to have any right as an heir of the property owner. A critical question is this: who is in possession of the property now, and when did all of this happen?

You need to get a lawyer to explain this to you. Find someone in or near the place where the property is located.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.