Oak Lawn, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: Can an established father file for visitation rights himself I live in Chicago and my son live in Iowa a problem legally

His mother won't allow me to see him alone when I go there it is in her boyfriend home and with his family. I am CPD Cadet now and won't be able to go see him now but I do want to see him alone on Sept when I am done. To drive there and then to her friends home another hour to see him for a couple of hours is too much.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason L Traub
Jason L Traub

A: Yes - you can do it yourself - you would be a "Pro Se" litigant,, meaning you are representing yourself.

If the Child was born in Illinois, and the mother subsequently moved out of state, you may still file in Illinois under the same case you used to established yourself as the Father.

After that, you will need to navigate a rather tricky landscape to have her served with a petition to establish the parameters of your parenting time (visitation). If you came to Chicago from out of state, you will not be able to file suit in Illinois, as the state lacks jurisdiction - you would need to return to the child's home state to resolve the matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.