Fort Collins, CO asked in Immigration Law for Colorado

Q: I'm 18 years old and a US citizen my fiance is here in Colorado from Mexico how can we get his citizenship/married

Are we able to go to the courthouse and get married or what do we have to do I've been trying to reach the immigration lawyer and have got no response and no help we would love to get married this year. He works and does everything a US citizen does but doesn't have citizenship.. please help he's 24 years old

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Hello... check with your local county clerk on the marriage licence requirements in your state. In regards to your immigration question, generally you can petition for your spouse as an immediate relative; however, whether he can adjust within the US or apply for his green card at the consulate largely depends on his current immigration status, immigration history, and how he entered the country. You need to consult with an immigration lawyer to assess your case and give you further guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.