Abingdon, MD asked in Car Accidents and Municipal Law for Georgia

Q: Strategy to sue a municipality for gross negligence. GA Magistrate Court

A 4 lane road is barricaded with jersey walls 40ft after an intersection. There are no impact arrestors, signs, road markings, etc. to warn of a road closure. The barricades/ road closure is non compliant with MUTCD. Additionally, the municipality's code prohibits the depositing of anything on any street that may cause injury to animals, people or property. The road has been like this for 15 years, over which time there have been multiple accidents. Do you assert that the barricades are something that were deposited illegally in the street, because they can't be a road closure because the lack of signage, improper barricade, etc., hence that they are nothing more than a dangerous object... Or do you you sue them for failing to enforce compliance with MUTCD... BTW the municipality claims they are not responsible because they don't own the road... The road, however, has been open to, used by and enjoyed by the public for 15 years or more, has a gas station and Commuter bus stop on it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: If there was a wreck and you were hurt contact a member of the Ga Trial Lawyers Assn--they give free consults.

If you weren't hurt this is a hypothetical and we don't answer those.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.